TUESDAY, FEB 27TH
COMMIT TO THE PROCESS
Where no oxen are, the manger is clean, but much revenue comes by the strength of the ox. | Proverbs 14:4
Life is a pretty messy endeavor. This verse is actually pretty humorous when you think about it, because it draws a distinction between those who prefer everything neat and orderly and those who want to be actively engaged in God’s mission. Sure, you can have a perfectly clean barn if you keep all the animals out, but if you want to see anything get done, you better buy a bigger pooper-scooper.
The unfortunate reality is that we’ve all hurt others and been hurt by others just by living life. We are imperfect people trying to image a perfect God. This is why some people try to live out the Christian life on their own, away from a church community. But it is also clear from this verse that if we want to be fully engaged with God’s mission here on earth, things are going to get a little messy.
Beth Moore said it well, “Mission has always been messy, and yet engaging faltering humans in a holy venture is how God still chooses to fulfill His agenda. And He gets it done.”
Jesus modeled this masterfully. Just read Philippians 2 if you want to marvel at what it meant to leave the comforts of heaven and take on flesh. Or read Jesus’ words in the Sermon on the Mount to see how He set the tone for His ministry to broken and hurting people. He regularly healed sick and diseased people through physical touch when no one else would go near them, even though He had the ability to do it with just a word. He took on the job of the lowest servant to wash the mud-caked, calloused feet of His disciples. He was willingly whipped, beaten, humiliated, spit on, and stripped of the very flesh He put on just so He could save us from our own.
It’s interesting that the people Jesus continually called out were the ones who wanted to secure their own righteousness by keeping everything around them neat and tidy. These are the ones Jesus called whitewashed tombs––clean on the outside, dead on the inside. If we want to be actively involved in God’s mission throughout this campaign and in our day-to-day lives, we have to be willing to get a bit messy. So today, let’s commit to the process, understanding that ministry happens with broken people, in imperfect endeavors, through the power of the Holy Spirit at work in us, all for the glory of His name.
- What kinds of people in my life have I written off as too messy (rowdy kids, mentally ill, those in prison, panhandlers, in-laws, etc.)?
- In what ways have I limited myself by not wanting to get my hands dirty?
- Take time to listen for God’s voice. How is He prompting me today?
- What is my response?
Tuesday Prayer Points
- Review Hillside’s Mission Statement and Vision Statement below. Pray that people at Hillside will see how the Legacy Campaign and building this children’s building and paying our debt down accomplishes our Mission and Vision Statements:
Hillside Mission Statement – “To help people discover who Jesus really is and become just like Him.”
Hillside Vision Statement – “To be a church where every person has an authentic relationship with Jesus Christ that leads to Eternal Living Now, so that God’s will and ways are carried out in our everyday lives, our community, and the world.”
- Pray for people to be involved in our 21 Days of Prayer and our 24 Hour Day of Prayer and Fasting to seek God for how He would want them to respond to the Legacy Campaign.
- Pray as we provide every week to every group at Hillside lessons/discussion items related to the Legacy Campaign and Pete’s sermons. Pray for God’s Spirit to lead in the discussion around the campaign.
- Pray that we can have 70% participation in the campaign. We currently have around 800 households that give to Hillside during a year so our goal is to have around 500 households make a promise to the Legacy Campaign.
- Pray that we can have $5 million promised the weekend of March 3-4 to be given over the next 1,000 days (3 years).
- Pray for First Fruits Sunday on March 25 that we will take our largest offering ever at Hillside so we can begin the building process in 2018.
Ministry Specific: Discipleship, Care, & Counseling
- Pray for GO classes that occur to assist people in taking their Next Steps of Discipleship at Hillside.
- Pray for all the Life Groups as they meet each week that relationships would be built and people in the groups would grow in their relationship with God and with each other. Pray as the Life Groups provide prayer and care for one another in their groups.
- Pray for the various men’s and women’s D-groups that are meeting during the week that the groups would be impacted by the study, that groups would be accountable and encouraged by one another, and it would be impacting the member’s relationship with God and relationship with others.
- Pray for FPU as it starts up on February 11 and meets every Sunday night and for Randy Hair and Tyson Richardson as they lead the class this semester.
- Pray for Dynamic Marriage as it starts up on February 11 and meets every Sunday night and for Chris & Jolene Knapp lead the group.
- Pray for our Single Adults Ministry and single moms that are hurting and need cared for. Pray for Kelly Leach and Karla Albrecht as they minister to single moms and singles in our community.
Care & Counseling
- Pray for all our Stephen Ministers as they are paired with hurting people. Pray for Missy Snider as she guides these Stephen Ministers.
- Pray for Hope Groups as they begin to meet this semester. Pray for Steve Morrow as he connects people needing a Hope Group to the appropriate leader and pray as they go through the curriculum that they will receive healing and encouragement.
- Pray for authentic relationships that yield healing
- For those Stephen Ministers who are considering attending the leadership training in July
- For the ministry to grow and be effective
Prepare and Enrich
- For couples who will receive pre-marital counseling from our mentor couples and staff
- For more couples to become servant leaders in this area
- For protection over the couples that will complete PE and be married
- For Counseling/Care Staff